Thursday, June 2, 2011

Let's have a story, shall we?

I simply love this picture.  It has nothing to do with this post.

My childhood is simply brimming with funny/awkward/sweet stories and I always seem to remember them at the oddest times.  {They say that you never truly forget anything; it just takes the right situation to remind you of your memories.}

My mom loves hearing the stories Brother and I tell her of our younger years.  Her response is typically, "Awww, that's sweet!  I didn't know / you never told me that!!!!!"

Anyways.  Last night whilst I was brushing my pearly whites, this story paid me a visit......

{cue the ripple effect on the screen, commencing the memory sequence}

My grandparents have always traveled a lot.  They've been all over the place, I tell you.  And when bro and I were kids, we had a little tradition where they would always bring back a souvenir for us and the cousins.  It could be a t-shirt, a book, jewelry, an ornament...you name it!

On one of their many adventures, our grandparents brought back a few black shark teeth for each of us.  {I don't remember why they were black....}  Brother and I were, of course, quite captivated by these little treasures, as we'd never seen black ones before, and they sat on our bathroom counter for quite some time.

Well.  Eventually one of us noticed that one of the teeth looked exactly like a miller moth from afar.  You know, those creepy little insects that dive-bomb your face like they're trying to freak you out.

Observe.


Just looking at it gives me the eeps.  Mooooving on...

Needless to say, we both hated miller moths.  {Still do, in fact.  With a passion.}  And being the brilliantly loving siblings that we are, we started this running joke where we'd take the tooth, put tape on the back, and stick it on the wall somewhere conspicuous.

It was priceless to see the other sibling run back to their room screeching "THERE'S A MOTH IN THE BATHROOOOOM!!!!!" because you knew it was just a silly little shark tooth taped to the mirror.

We kind of got immune to the joke after awhile, but it sure makes for a sweet childhood memory.

Maybe I should find that tooth and see if it'll still work...

1 comment:

I'm Sydney. said...

Oh my gosh Jesseca I loved that! Memories... such sweet, sweet things! Aw :)

P.S. you are so sweet for posting my button :)