Monday, May 9, 2011

Moms make the world go round (or at least mine does).

All this Mother's Day business has got me thinking about how much I love my mom.  She has taught me so much over the years that I can't even begin to list it all.  I am who I am today because of her unwavering love, determination, and faithfulness to me.  She is without doubt one of my best friends (if not the best friend I have) and I would rather hang out with her than anybody else (to a healthy extent, of course).  Talking for two hours over diet coke and pizza or Mexican food, sipping lattes when I should've been in school, having ice cream for dinner because she didn't want to cook, and just curling up in the family room, talking till our jaws hurt are just a tiny sampling of all the memories I have with her that will be cherished forever.

Would you like to know some of the lessons I've learned from her over the years?  You'd be a better person from learning these lessons for yourself.  Take it from someone who's lived with her for a lifetime.  Ahem.

1. Don't freak out.  It's okay to have fun.

I'll admit it:  I have struggled with making myself miserable for the things I haven't done (or haven't done correctly) instead of rewarding myself for the things I have done right.  She's the only one who has the wisdom (and guts) to tell me to just let. it. go.

2.  (Mostly) everything's okay in moderation.

My mom is the individual responsible for my love of chocolate.  So there is no way the two of us are going to pass up a good, rich, moist, fudgey, chocolately chocolate cake, no matter how many carbs or calories it has in it.  Ever.  We have even been known to have seconds.
Balance is key, whether it's in your diet, your wardrobe, your spending, your friendships...everything in moderation.

4. When life gets tough, have a good cry, but then get up and face it.

I have been stretched and pushed to the point of tears many a time, but she always gives me the courage to try again.

7. Dream big and don't limit yourself.

I remember it so clearly:  I was playing on the patio one day, in my dress-up clothes and shoes, dreaming about my wedding day, when Mom came to the door.  "Mom," I announced. "My wedding dress is going to be this long," I said as I walked from one end of the patio to the other.  "Is it?" she replied. "Wow, that's going to be gorgeous."  To all of my other dreams she's responded the same way, always, of course, with a certain level of practicality I tend to lack.

8. There are just some lessons you have to learn for yourself.

When a kid puts his shoes on for himself, but has them on the wrong feet, don't fix it for him.  Let him swell with pride, knowing he put his own shoes on, and he'll eventually figure out that shoes don't feel funny if you put them on in a certain order.

9. Brush your teeth and wash your face twice a day.

Teeth should be brushed before breakfast, vitamins should be taken with a meal, Delsym cough syrup really does help, resting in the car is a good idea (even though it’s weird knowing people are watching you sleep), if the shoes fit, who cares how they look?, back scratches are better when given by dad, chocolate chip cookies are best when eaten warm, smiling, laughter and honesty are always the best policies, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, moms always win the dressing room battles, sending thank you notes is NOT OPTIONAL, homemade pizza should be paired with root beer and the Lawrence Welk Show, nobody died for a lack of TV, learning is enhanced when you go at your own pace, the tickle monster knows every single one of your tickle spots, Friday is pizza day (my family likes pizza, if you haven’t gathered), and no matter what you think, you can do it.


I don't think I have to tell you how blessed I am to have such an amazing role model as my mother and friend.  And I hope you've enjoyed hearing some of our adventures together as much as I've enjoyed living them.

No comments: