Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I think I'll take the stairs from now on.


For about 73 terrifying seconds, I thought I had gotten stuck in the elevator.  Legitimately.
I had just delivered some lunch to my dad at his office and had taken my little darling with me for some exercise.  {Zoë the Chihuahua—sweetest little 5-lb living thing you’ll ever meet, although she can get some sass goin’ on from time to time.}  Normally, I would have taken the stairs down from the second level where Dad's office is, but just for kicks, I decided to take the elevator today.
I knew the building wasn’t the newest one in town, but I didn’t think it’d take that long to go from level two to level one.  I mean, seriously.  I could’ve fallen down the stairs faster than that.
  So there we were, Zoë down there sniffing away at the [rather small] rectangle of carpet to her heart’s content, me staring up at the little light-up numbers on the wall with a growing panic forming somewhere in the depths of myself.  {Did I mention that I have stuckintheelevatorophobia?  I should probably get over that.}
Suddenly I started wondering what happens when you push the “In Case Of Emergency” button in an elevator.  I also checked to make sure I had my phone, because by that point I was strongly considering calling my mom, who was sitting at a front desk 20 yards away, blissfully unaware of the sheer terror her daughter was presently experiencing just down the hallway.
Is this thing even moving??!
It didn’t feel like it!  It was creaking and swaying, but I didn’t get the usual swoosh I get in my tummy when I ride elevators.  Not only that, but the little light thingy hadn’t even changed from the down button to the 2 button, let alone moved from 2 to LOBBY.  I wonder if Zoe was as concerned as I was.  Probably not . . . dogs and their noses are pretty attached.  Even if said nose only has the surface area of a dime.
In desperation, I pushed the LOBBY button again and stared pleadingly at the light as if it was my only hope.  As if by a miracle, it finally switched from 2 to LOBBY and boy, oh boy, I have never been so happy to see that blessed lobby in my life.
Like I said, most terrifying 5 minutes of my life. {Or was it 73 minutes?  Wait… maybe it was seconds…}
I hope you are enjoying this fabulous sunshine today, but I also hope that it’s sunny where you are today.  Speaking of places, I’m so excited because I get to go to Cali for the first time this summer!  But for now, I’m quite content with my lovely view of the Rockies.  On this side of them.


Hi, I'm Zoe the Chihuahua.  Nice to meet you.

4 comments:

Sonia Ama said...

Can I just say you are stinkin adorable! I actually always think of the larger photo whenever you mention Zoe!!

And I'm already STOKED for the Dream Center trip too!!!!

I'm Sydney. said...

I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG LAYOUT!!!! AND YOU! AND YOUR CUTE DOG!! (Can I have her??!)

I also loved your blog post today. It made me laugh and made me think (isn't that peculiar?)
Jesseca, you're just great!

In the Making.... said...

I GOT STUCK IN AN ELEVATOR!! B Dragan and I were on our way downstairs to warm our lunch on a Saturday for our all day Saturday class (9AM-4PM) and it was around 11 o'clock. So while on our trip back up with our warmed up food we hop into the elevator at ACC so we're waiting and waiting and we start moving...not even half way to the 3rd floor we get stuck and it just STOPS!! Brittany and I turn and laugh "dude are we stuck" waiting waiting and nothing...I start jumping (because I am special ;)) and then it shakes and "YEP WE'RE STUCK TAY STOP"-B so I start to push the emergency button AND IT DOESN'T WORK!! All we heard was STATIC...insanely SCARy....we have no numbers for anyone from the school and it's saturday so no one is there (really, really nobody except the 13 other ppl in class who are no where near us) So we start banging on the elevator door and screaming since the intercome emergency thing isn't working.."HELLO HELLO WE'RE STUCK IN HERE HELLO" ten mintues later one of the maintenance guys is walking by and hears us and says, "Are you guys stuck in there" "WELLL DUH DUDE do you hear us screaming" Okay we didn't exactly say that but he says okay hold on and he gets us out...it was literally the scariest 10 minutes ever and we no longer ride ACC elevators. :) When we got out we had to jump out because we were in between floor 2 and 3 :-S OY worst time of my life.

Elizabeth said...

hahaha oh my gosh!! I'd cry if I got stuck in an elevator. I have an extreme case now and then of feeling really clastorphobic and i get all frustrated. lol anyway, Im glad u didnt get stuck, and if you did you could have given me a call and we would have had a great and ammusing convo to get your mind off of being stuck in the elev. haha :) I love you Jess! You are grrrreat I tell you!