Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bad Hair Days



It happens to the best of us... Bad hair days sneak up on us the way the Pink Panther sneaks up on Inspector Clouseau.
Seriously, I think my hair graduated from National Pancake University.  All day, it’s been flat and limp and just hanging there like a not-so-glamorous wet blanket.  Some girls can totally pull off the perfectly straight hair!  I think those are the girls who have naturally full-bodied hair and just straighten to perfection everyday.  Mine?  Phsst.  It’s so straight that it takes voluminizing shampoo and conditioner, mousse, root lifter, round brushes, standing on my head to blow dry it, and a half can of hairspray, all so it can rock its sadly straight nature with a little bit of dignity.
Of course, then you’ve got the [previously mentioned] individuals who have frizzy, out of control hair who use relaxing shampoo and conditioner, hair smoother, hair relaxer, heat protection, a flat brush and nozzle while blow drying their hair, and take a week and a half to straighten it, all so they can smile and pretend their hair is that perfect and carefree whatever time of day it is.  (Actually, I haven’t a clue what they use on their hair; I’ve never had the need to de-frizz mine.)
So you have the straight hair and the frizzy.  You’ve got the hair thick-as-melted-chocolate and hair as thin-as-melted-wax.  You have the perfectly-curled-when-I-wake-up hair and the I-am-the-definition-of-bedhead hair.  Then, of course, wedged in between those lovely hair types are the majority of us whose hair cooperates when it wants to, except for when it doesn’t, because on those days, it just doesn’t.

I’ve had the same hairstyle for a few months now, and I've liked it a lot.  Except it’s grown out a little, so now it’s too long to spike, but too short to pull back.  Being desperate for a change, I trimmed my bangs this morning (I don’t think it looks any different) which changes it up a little bit (even if just psychologically) but I really just want a big change.
Why am I soliloquizing on the woes of hair styling?  Well, umm, honestly, I was kind of enjoying the soap box.
But seriously!  I feel like that’s how life gets sometimes.  We get ourselves into routines that we really like, and that is a good thing.  But eventually, all that predictability just turns into irritability.  No longer does that jet stream carry us along in its carefree momentum; instead, it drags us through the dirt at an infuriating speed, scraping up our knees and noses in the process.

If you feel like your life has gotten boring and mundane, lay it and the feet of your Heavenly Father.  He knows exactly what He wants you to do next and where He wants you to walk tomorrow; simply trust Him to lead you there.
If you’re having a bad hair day, I would like to shake your hand and personally welcome you to the club.  My advice?  Put somethin’ crazy in it and work that hairdo along with some crazy clothes to match.  That, or just tell yourself you’re beautiful (you are) and strut your stuff like you've got all the confidence in the world (you do).
Problem solved.

P.S. Has an ad for a hair product ever had you convinced to buy the product?  I want to hear!  And *cough cough* it happened to me.  I saw an Aussie ad in a magazine one time.  The model had these perfect (I repeat: PERFECT) curls that I immediately coveted (I've repented, don't worry).  Needless to say, the next shopping trip landed me with a can of Aussie hairspray.  Did it work?  Did I achieve those perfect curls?  Strangely...not even close.  And it smelled like kids' grape Tylenol.  But anyways.  I want to hear your stories.

1 comment:

aigirln said...

I have to tell you, Jesseca, that this is one of the most interesting blog posts I've ever read. Hair is one of my absolute FAVORITE subjects, and God is my number one favorite...I love how you tie the two together!!!