Wednesday, February 2, 2011

God, I trust You.

I can officially say I trust God.
Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.  I have waited, and He is now my peace.  And there’s nothing in this world that can take that peace away.
I have a new resolve to be who God made me to be.  I have a new resolve to worship Him with every fiber in me.  I have a new resolve to trust Him, because He’s proven to me that He really does know best.  I have surrendered, and will continue to learn how to surrender, for the rest of my life.
This life is not about me.  It is about bringing glory to the One who made me.  Oh, just think about that!  Who wants to live for themselves when they can use their life to shine the limelight on such a beautiful savior?
You know, it feels good to obey God’s voice.  It starts out with an annoying little tug on your heart that whispers something you absolutely don’t want to hear.  But the more you let go of your agenda and desires, the more content you feel.  You start to realize that the God who can move mountains can also quite effortlessly guide you down the perfect road.
Worry?  Phhst!  Worry doesn’t help.  At all.
I can’t see the big picture.  I can imagine how my life will ultimately turn out, but how can I know for sure?  But God; God can see the beginning and the end of my life!   He knows what I’m capable of, knows who I really am, knows the call He put on my life, all while I’m still grappling in the dark about it all.
That’s why I trust Him.
It might twinge at first, letting go and all.  But it’s the kind of pain that you’d feel if you had to choose between one Hershey’s today, or five Hershey’s tomorrow.  Who wouldn’t pick the five?  Sure, you may be having some intense chocolate cravings today, but I think we’d all agree that 24 hours is worth five times the chocolate!
I’m not making a joke out of surrendering your life to God.  In fact, quite the opposite.  It’s the biggest decision you’ll ever make, and it’s an ongoing decision.  It might be harder to let go tomorrow than it is today; and honestly, that will probably be the case.  As we prove ourselves faithful to surrender in the little things, God will quietly urge us to let go of the more painful ones.  But the more we give up on guiding ourselves, the more God will surprise us with things we can’t even dream up right now.
When Marilyn Hickey was a young woman, God set it out for her:  She could reject the Holy Spirit but remain faithful to God, and she would live a happy, successful life.  She would move to California, get married, be a teacher the rest of her long life, then die and go to heaven.
But she had another choice; she could accept the Holy Spirit right then (God had been nagging her about it for 4 years) and He’d give her a life so amazing she couldn’t even begin to imagine or fathom it.
What a choice!  You know which one she picked?  The latter one.  She told God He could have her, and guess what?  She’s 79 years old, acts like she’s 45, and continues to travel around the country telling millions of lost souls that there’s a God out there who cares.  That’s her passion.
But if she hadn’t surrendered that one sleepless night, and had told God she could figure out her own life, she would’ve missed all the amazing things God had planned for her.
I want to be like Marilyn Hickey.  I want to be someone God can count on to carry out His perfect will on this earth.  It’s not about religion; it’s about glorifying the only One worth glorifying.



Tell me your Daddy ain't big enough.......

1 comment:

I'm Sydney. said...

Oh gosh Jesseca, me to. A lot of the time I'm like: "God give me the opportunity to do that." and it seems like He is silent, but those are the moments when trusting God becomes enough. That if we trust Him and seek Him enough, He comes through.