Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stop. Listen. Love.

Really.  It is so, so, so, so, SO beautiful out there today!  It truly feels like spring.  I know I said that yesterday, but my heart was moved even more today by the utter loveliness of the great outdoors.
I was out there eating a sandwich, just enjoying life and kind of trying to put off those papers I need to write.  (Actually, I was stressing out inside, but trying to just   l  e  t    i  t    g  o.)  That was when God was like, “Hey…listen.”  So I did.  And know what I heard?  Silence.  A silence that’s so much different than the indoor silence I’ve been hearing for too long now.
This particular type of silence wasn’t the complete kind, where it’s so quiet your ears hurt.  This kind of silence was a peaceful, restful kind, the kind where you’re so content you could just close your eyes and let yourself be wrapped in happiness.  In the distance I could hear the soft rush of rushing cars on the highway, and nearby was the timid calls of birds wondering if this warm weather was for real.  I could hear some neighbors down the street pulling their now-empty dumpster back to its corner of the yard and over to the right, I could’ve sworn I could hear the remaining snow melting.  Water was dripping everywhere and I think the sunshine was singing some kind of song too.
That’s what I heard.
Think what I would have missed if I hadn’t taken the time to listen.  What’s racket to some people is a symphony to others.  And trust me, honey; listening is a whole different ball game than just plain ol’ hearing.
So stop and listen.  Something you hear might pull your heart out of a little slump, or maybe it will stir you to make a difference in your world that you’ve never thought of before.  Or maybe it will just let you take a breath and realize that God really is in control.  Oh, and as you listen, maybe God will whisper something to you, too…you never know.
I'm not sure why...but this weather makes me think of my
dream home!  And don't tell me it's already taken
'cause I can still dream.

1 comment:

Sonia Ama said...

I love days like this where you feel like just lying on your grass and embracing everything! Can't wait to have more of them!!

And that is quite a beautiful home, what a great dream to have :)