Monday, February 14, 2011

Seasons change...they always do.

She found an island...isn't she cute?!

Spring is in the air!  Yesterday felt like it was April or something.  If you know me pretty well, you probably know how HAPPY I am that it’s sunny and warm!
I went on a walk with Shelby (my friend and new sister) and Zoe (my dog) yesterday, and Shelbs and I amused ourselves the whole way by stepping on the edges of the icebergs sitting in the gutters.  Do you know what I’m talking about?!  It’s so satisfying to hear the little “fthump” as a chunk breaks off with your foot on top of it.

I’ve been thinking about seasons.  Friendships last for a season, hardships pass after awhile, places in your life and thinking last for only some time, and everyone will grow old whether we want to or not.  It’s funny… I had never thought about seasons in our lives until I met a girl in Nashville, Tennessee two years ago that I’ve never seen since.  Her name was Lindsey; she had curly auburn hair, an ever-present smile, and if I had to describe her in one word, it’d be sunshine.  As she and I were swapping songs we had written, she played me this one.  I was listening, enraptured, when it began to hit me: seasons always change.  Always.  And when are we not in a season?  It’s either fall, winter, spring, or summer and without fail, they will eventually change.
That doesn’t mean we have to like it.  I, for one, would appreciate it if God could make it be summer for 80% of the year and then have a couple weeks of the other three seasons just to mix it up.  But that’s not the way it works.  If it was summer all year like I wish it could be, think of everything I’d miss!  Snowflakes falling romantically, the brilliance of a mountainside covered with red and gold, the wonder of tulips bravely poking their heads through the snow.  And, on a more practical note, we wouldn’t have any fruits and vegetables to eat, because it takes time and different weather patterns to make things grow correctly.
What’s funny though, is that we never know exactly when they will change, nor are the changes usually detectable.  In the winter, the sun starts setting a few seconds later each day until whaala! it’s light until 9:30 p.m.  We don’t notice the change until it has fully hit.  Of course, there are times (like yesterday) when we get a sneak peek at what’s ahead, and we realize that despite all the snow and frigid temps we’ve been having, a change is about to hit.  Sometimes that revelation is exciting, sometimes it’s not, but we end up getting through it all anyway, don’t we?
Seasons change…they always do.  So embrace the new adventure each one brings and cherish the moments you’ve had in past ones; the next season in your life can only be better than the last one.

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.  I will be found by you, says the LORD…” (Jeremiah 29:11-14a)

1 comment:

a girl with a smile said...

we are always changing. He takes us from glory to glory.