Tuesday, June 5, 2012

just breathe

via pinterest
Earlier today, I was walking my dog to the park.  The wind was warm and there weren't too many people out.  I had just crossed the street and was trying to make my dog go left instead of right, when a car pulled up beside me.  Curious, I turned around to see a girl of about 8 or 9 years hop out, her smiling eyes on Zoe.  She wore a thin little blue dress that barely covered her orange swimsuit, and her choppy hair was blonde and tangled.

'May I pet your dog?' she breathed, eyes still fixed on my 5 lb canine.

'Of course,' I replied, amused at her fascination.  As soon as Zoe noticed her, it was all tongue and tail and please-please-please-rub-my-belly from there.  Sure, listen to the stranger, ignore the owner.

Meanwhile, her mom rolled down the window and thanked me for stopping.

'She saw your dog and just had to pet it,' which was, of course, followed by the usual 'how old is she,' 'she's four,' 'wow, full-grown and so tiny' conversation.

It didn't seem like Little Miss Sunscreen was interested in leaving anytime soon, so I let her continue to awkwardly lift the dog and tenderly kiss her fuzzy head.

She was so happy.

There was nothing in the world right then that could have possibly made her happier.

I think I saw scars on her arms.  Her teeth had gaps.  Her hair was shorter than most girls prefer it.  Who knows what that precious young soul had seen in her few years?

Yet, none of that mattered, because that was then and this is now.

As we said our goodbyes, part of me wished I had stayed longer.  But I think God set me up with that sweet little girl to remind me...just breathe.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I needed this picture today!
alwayssaygrace.com

Stevie Leigh said...

This is so beautiful. Lovely thoughts.