Monday, January 24, 2011

It's the foolish things of this world...

…that confound the wise.

Who could dream that a universe spun on a web of weightless, barren space could tuck away a speck of life somewhere in its folds, endlessly protecting it from spinning out of control?

Who would think that life is only created through beauty, joy, and pain?

How do the littlest things so readily capture our undivided attention?

How can we grasp the idea that someone would trade his life for another’s?

But it does, it is, they do, and He did.

He traded His life for yours.  Think about your life for a moment…what is it worth?  If you could sift through your fingers every single moment you will ever live, which ones would really be worth keeping?

“As for man, his days are like grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes.  For the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.”  (Psalm 103:15-16, NKJV)

On our own, our lives are nothing.  But remember…?  Jesus left a kingdom of perfection and beauty, became the creation He created, and traded His perfection for our filth and pain.

All so He could give us His life instead.

Let me try putting this in more graspable terms.

If I could trade lives with you, what would I be doing?  I would have your identity.  I would have your name, think your thoughts.  I would respond to people and things based on your history.  If I truly traded my life for yours, I wouldn’t even remember my old life, would I?  I would step in…and be you.

“…if One died for all, then all died; and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.” (2 Corinthians 5:14-15, NKJV)

He is a King.  He is pure.  He is righteous.  Why then do we see ourselves as worthless, dirty, and impure?  We are not our own…

“For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” (1 Corinthians , NKJV)

“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17, NKJV)

I don’t know about you, but this world has nothing for me.  If I can lose myself in exchange for the life of my Creator…then hey, You can have all of me, God.

That doesn’t mean we don’t have our own identity when we let God have us.  It does mean that we’ll find out who we were created to be, and it does mean that we’ll finally realize who we are, because it’s God who knows us the best anyway.

It sounds like the most beautiful exchange anyone could ever make.

Which reminds me of a really good song

I feel like there’s so much I have to learn!  How in the world am I ever going to learn everything that God is?  He is unfathomable, infinite, and so much more than I could ever grasp.  And even though I’m okay with not always understanding His plans and quirky schemes, I’d like to try comprehending Him as much as I can.

Because His life is the one I’m trading mine for.


P.S. That first verse I quoted has a really good ending!  “But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children’s children, to such as keep his covenant, and to those who remember His commandments to do them.”

P.P.S.  When I asked “what is your life worth?”, let me assure you…it is worth every drop of Jesus’ blood spilled on calvary.  You are worth THAT much to Him.

No comments: