Monday, March 12, 2012

on church



There's an element to church that just makes me want to leave.  Forever.

It's a selfish element.  One that revolves around 'me' and 'favor' and 'my destiny'.

What ever happened to God?

What happened to the Great I AM who spoke to Moses on the mountain top, who showed up in the quiet wind instead of the dramatic earthquake, who created the very earth beneath our feet and the air swirling life within our lungs?

What happened to HIM?

All He wants is you.  All He wants is the heart and affections of the beautiful people He created to love.

Maybe I'm just upset because I've fought Him for so long.  I know He wants my heart, yet I run the other way in hopes of avoiding something hard.

For giving your heart to another isn't easy.  It takes time, it takes humility, it takes a sacrificial vulnerability to let the other see into the deepest part of your being.

But isn't that what He did for me?  I fail to see what is more humble and sacrificial than laying down one perfect life for trillions of tragically imperfect ones.

And then came the first church.  A handful of people touched by a love not limited to human interaction.  A love that love consumed them, compelled them to lay down their lives so that a lost world could be saved and healed.

And now?  Church seems to be a fashion show dedicated to either donuts or the destiny of the people who walk down the aisles.

What a trade.

Don't get me wrong.  Church is good.  And no, of course I wouldn't leave the church.  It was ordained by God and there is absolutely no replacement for it.

But let's...let's get back to Him.

I'll start with me.  Because I can only change myself.

"For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him." (John 3:17 AMP)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

PREACH WHITE GIRL PREACH. Haha I was thinkin about what Pastor Adam says haha anyway, very inspiring and food for thought kinda post. I totally agree with you that so many people in today's generation forget what the true meaning of what church is all about.
Keep bringin the word girl.

Sonia Ama said...

I agree, and have struggled with the same distaste for some years, so that's why I have so much respect when someone else acknowledges the same.

Especially that we are always consumed with our destiny. I think that's very interesting because there's that element of wanting our lives to reflect His will as opposed to becoming consumed with "knowing" and doing everything within our OWN means to achieve it. Yup, it's a tricky one.

I'm Sydney. said...

Oh. AMEN.
How true this is.