Monday, September 12, 2011

When's it going to change?

There's so many hurting people out there. I see them all the time, everywhere I go. And what am I doing about it? What can I do about it?

I pulled up to my dad's office this morning and there at a picnic table across the street was a young woman with a baby carrier. The girl was dressed all in black and had a beanie pulled down to her eyes. My heart ached for her...yet what would I say of I went up to her? So I didn't.

I was eating pizza with my mom on Friday. A girl clearing tables caught my eye. Her hair was long with blue streaks under the ball cap she wore and she walked with a limp. When she came to clear our table, her voice was timid and her face sad, almost visibly searching for hope. I wanted to tell her how beautiful she was...but I'm ashamed to say that I didn't.

At Panera bread the day before is where this whole thing started. An elderly woman walked by my table and all I saw was her frail stoop, her gapped teeth and a few wisps of gray hair. When I got up to leave, I saw her sitting with some younger women and a child and I desperately wanted to tell her she was beautiful...but I didn't.

Today I am determined to leave behind my ego and tell someone they're worth something. Their salvation might have my name attached to it. I can't ignore the hurting people again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about intense determination. You've inspired me

I'm Sydney. said...

You're telling me. It's all I want.