Saturday, April 16, 2011

Choir colors are my friend.

Choir colors are my friend.  In case there’s any confusion, I am speaking (typing…?) that in faith.
Now don’t get me wrong…I LOVE being in choir.  But it does require sacrifice.  Of what kind, you ask?  Sacrifice of personal fashion preference.  It means being (quite) limited in the outfit choices for Sunday mornings, just when I’m getting on a roll with this whole “defining-Jesseca’s-style” thing.
Uhhh, two words:  HOW PATHETIC.
Am I really complaining about how I have to wear the same black skirt just about every Sunday morning because I’m in choir and I can’t wear anything I want to for the ENTIRE morning?  Yeah, I know…horror of horrors.
 Allow me to give me a reality check.  There is a country that is a few big splashes away from my home country that has experienced such true horrors that I have absolutely zero reason to be complaining about anything.
Besides that, there are people I pass everyday on the street who don't just lack money and food, but also have no home, no friends, no life, no hope.  While I sit back on my heels pleading with God to show me who I am in Him, He’s quietly telling me, “Jesseca, look around you.  These people need someone to show them the kind of love that doesn’t judge, doesn’t hate, and isn’t conditional, and the kind of love that I alone give.  Who I am in you is your identity…so get your eyes off yourself and throw yourself into My heart.”
I love Him.  I don’t like how it feels when He reprimands me, because chastening is never fun.  (Hebrews 12:11)  But I would rather be spanked now and behave tomorrow than enjoy the rewards of the flesh today and be miserable later.  Wouldn’t you?
So be yourself…trust God…and even when you’re asked to wear black and gold for choir when you don’t have a single speck of gold in your closet, smile and give God all the glory.
Oh, and have a sweet, lovely weekend.





1 comment:

I'm Sydney. said...

This post was just great. Absolutely great.