Thursday, July 14, 2011

music is what feelings sound like




I play the piano.  I've written some songs in the past.  And it is one of the most satisfying, therapeutic, fulfilling things to do, knowing you expressed in words and music the unspeakable feelings trapped within you.

I have been trying so hard to write another song lately.  I want so badly to articulate what's inside me right now, but I just can't seem to find the right string to pull.  I'll start a song, get a few lame lyrics, and then just give up because nothing is grabbing my attention.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.  I listen to amazing songs on the radio and wonder how in the world someone can pen something so utterly beautiful, especially the ones that are different, that don't fit a mold.  So I set out to write a song that isn't normal, one that will express the inexpressible both for me and for anyone who would ever care to listen.

Like I said, phshtoinwddkjldsoisebhgn.  That's what happens.  And then I lay my head on the keys and ask God if He could please write a song through me because I know it's in there, I just haven't found the secret code yet.

I'm not quite sure what I'm missing yet.  But I do know that when God and I meet, maybe in a lovely sunlit chapel in the Swiss Alps or something, the perfect song that's been in me all this time will finally come pouring out in gentle waves because He alone will be the one I'm singing it for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! I feel the same EXACT way! Get out of my head, lol. Except I play guitar

LPT said...

Yup. They come when you least expect them to.

I'm Sydney. said...

Wow I feel that's my life. Though you are much more qualified in the song-writing area.
The songs though that I think TRULY come from our hearts are the ones where we're not seeking God for a song or something incredible or inspirational that will make people go "WOW" but something selfless and completely after God.
I LOVE that last line... "pouring out in gentle waves because He alone will be the one I'm singing for."